Wednesday, 9 December 2009

Kids at the Gym

Something that's been bothering me.....should kids be allowed in the gym? I can't help but think of all the things that could go really wrong. Yesterday I found myself running on the treadmill next to a kid also on his treadmill half bending over and leaning on the front handbar while running. He looked like he was so tired...he would trip and fall any minute! But kept going. I was more than worried. Those treadmills always warn ppl not to hold the "heart beat" rail thing (u noe the one with sensors that measure ur heart beat...watever its called) while running and yet this kid was grabbing on for dear life. Did he not know when to stop? ...when to call it a day cos your body is tired? Didn't look like it.

Okay I admit, maybe I'm just bias and slightly annoyed cos the gym was overrun by high school kids that took up all the machines and were also sitting around the stretching area - which is already small enough...leaving no space for those that actually needed e space to stretch. They were sitting there chatting - nothing to do with working out. A bit inconsiderate I thought.

But they're kids. They generally didn't seem to have the same levels of courtesy and etiquette needed in a gym. Lately I keep seeing really young kids jumping on and off treadmills like a new toy they're mucking around with. What if they really did slip and hurt themselves? Those machines can go pretty fast.

And weight machines are worse - if not used properly...obviously. You could do way worse than pull a muscle on those things. And yet the gym is taking the chance. Could they get sued if someone got injured? Hmmm I wonder. Is it really worth that small amount in membership fees? Kids don't even pay full price.

Anyway... I guess I just needed to vent. To my surprise, when I checked out some of the other well known gyms overseas, I found that they now have "youth" memberships as well. I never saw a kid in the gym over the 4 years in Spore. I kinda like it tat way.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Cheryl!
    Kids under 15 should be banned from gyms!
    Period!
    Or they should just go to a kids only gym (there are a few in existance!)
    If parents don't have the common sense to supervise their children at gyms then they should not be there. And if the kids get hurt, well I hate to be nasty - but serves them right!
    Kids should be outdoors running around and playing games. Not on tredmills and weights. Parents need to take more responsibility for their children's health and well being.
    Discipline the little monsters!

    Bah! That's my vent.
    But then again, I don't really like children no matter how cute. God help me if I ever have any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raised a good point! They should spend time outside PLAYING - that would burn up a heap of calories. But yes I believe tat takes more effort for parents to bring em out vs sitting in the comforts of air-conditioning indoors.

    ReplyDelete