Saturday, 19 December 2009

Birthday in Miri

Whew! The birthday has come & gone. Not that I was dreading turning a year older cos that just makes no difference to me whatsoever. A number is a number! I think I was just feeling a tad alone tis year initially. Birthdays are traditionally a time one would be celebrated, by her dearest friends and family around her. It's a silly romantic notion stuck in my head.

But my mum was way Down Under and dad was also on another island. And over the years, the extended family are too busy with their own lives...and reserve birthday celebrations for kids only. Close friends were scattered globally while new friends in Brunei.....well... it's still early :P

So I had to see jin as kinda my family, friend and boyfriend, all rolled into one. And that meant eating a whole birthday cake by ourselves too! As it turned out, we were driving to M'sia the next day and had to give 90% of the cake away to his brother and my housemate (whom were both unaware of e bday occasion!).

Anyway our roadtrip to Miri was a lovely little holiday & what better excuse for a holiday than a bday (that plus my tourist visa was expiring!!). I fully appreciated having my bf drop everything to take time off for me mid-week hehe! The Marriot was a bargain at only $100 p/n wif huge buffet breakfast spread included - my favourite part hehe! We sat by e pool & read all day (finished e Lost Symbol by Dan Brown & thot it was only average btw).

Not to forget - a dozen red roses & champagne waiting for us when we checked in.

A table was also booked for dinner which was a yummilious Rack of Lamb. And it wouldn't be a bday without e house "band" embarrassing me wif a rendition of Happy Birthday for all the restaurant to see! And when I thot it was over... they threw in an extra serenade (the song "You look Wonderful Tonight") & said it was requested by Jin. But it wasn't! HAHA! It was typical asian cheesy but we had a gd laugh.

And totally random - some shots of the abundant wildlife in Miri that kept us company. Plus a take-home souvenir of over 30 sandfly bites. ITCHY!!!!

Well I'm officially older now...and hopefully a touch wiser, as the intimate celebration gave me a new perspective on birthdays! I miss my friends & family but I wasn't really alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment