Friday, 12 February 2010

Gong Xi Fa Cai

This weekend is Chinese New Year. And as it turns out, CNY is a pretty big deal to jin's family. There's been a lot of activity leading up to it; the house gets a thorough spring clean, new cushions on the sofa, front door has a fresh coat of paint, cars are washed & even the driveway gets a special jet-spray treatment.


Me, I'm not that keen on the many traditions. I honestly don't understand why one has to wear new clothes for CNY? But then again.... I bet most of my generation are clueless to the significance of this and simply take it as a great excuse to go shopping! hehe! The other part I'm not fond of anymore is the receiving of "ang pows". Call me crazy for not liking the idea of receiving money but I really do feel such an awkwardness & embarrassment about it. Maybe it's got something to do with me being in a foreign country, with a family tat's not my own.

So for the most part, I hope to survive the errrr "duties" of greeting strangers as they visit the house by rewarding myself with some quality DVD time. I have quite a few great titles to get thru....(with or without my bf haha!).


The pineapple tarts are essential of course!


Oh and I nearly forgot.... Happy Valentines Day! I got some gorgeous lillies from jin last night and heading off to "Deals" at the Sheraton for dinner tonight (yes we're celebrating early!).






4 comments:

  1. That is a bit weird that you don't like Ang Pows, Chez.... but isn't it tradition that past 30 yrs of age (or when you start working) you GIVE the ang pow, not receive it? Or is it once you are married?
    I don't know... I am only 1/4 chinese so what do I know.
    Anyway I do understand the whole cleaning of the house thing though. New Year, New Beginning Start afresh. I do it just before before the 31st Dec! Or at least I try to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. Interesting Selection of DVDs!!

    Love love love Coco Avant Chanel.
    Audrey Tatou is to die for.
    Tell me what you thought of Up in the Air.
    I saw it last week and I can't decide if I love it or not. It stirred me up a little, and has stayed with me for a week. I say if a film has affected me like that, it must mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yes...ang pow giving is only for the "married" species! But at the same time, I do believe once you hit the 30yr mark.... you are kinda pushing your luck too. It's a situation whereby most chinese relatives secretly EXPECT you to be married by this age, plus they reckon you're too old to be receiving red packets BUT they are stuck with the stooopid tradition and hence feel obligated. That 's my main grudge.... I don't like to receive anything that's obligatory!!!

    On the topic of dvds - Up in the Air was interesting, didn't hate it, but yeah left me feeling a tad unsatisfied. I hate to say I'm a sucker for a happy ending. "500 Days of Summer" was vaguely similar in its attempt to create a film that was NOT a love story! I think they both had their value because they were unpredictable.

    Still haven't had a chance to watch Coco Avant Chanel - priority this weekend me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy Coco Avant Chanel for what it is - a beautiful love story to fashion. I got so lost in it. Plus I am a big fan of the powerhouse woman that is Coco so maybe I am bias.

    I really didn't like 500 Days.... I thought it was so contrived. I only watched it for Zooey Deschenel because I think she is a bit magical.

    And yes I agree with you - not comfortable with anything that comes with obligation.
    Nothing in this world is free, right???
    Don't I know it. I just drew a (big) cheque for the stamp duty on my house. Talk about a lot of money for nothing. It was soooo painful.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete